Thursday, October 15, 2009

For Diane, On Her 19th Birthday

Today at 12:48 PM Diane Carol Littlejohn turns 19 years old. The last birthday card I gave to her was on her 13th birthday. I wrote to her that although she wasn't a little girl anymore, she was not a young woman as yet, and that people would try to get her to do things that were not right and proper for a teenager to do. I encouraged her to remember the things that her foster parents, mother, and I had taught her and to keep to those teachings. I also said to remember God during these times and to lean upon her foster parents for moral support.

Most of all, I encouraged her to remember who she was (and IS) - DIANE CAROL LITTLEJOHN! I told her to remember who she was and where she came from. I then concluded by telling her that even though she wasn't my little girl anymore, that she was (and always is) still my Honey Bear!

Back in 1988, I was working for Pinkerton Security at what was then AT&T Bell Laboratories in Naperville, IL. One of my co-workers named Mary St. Jules started calling me Daddy Bear shortly after Diane was born. Shortly after that, I started calling Diane my Honey Bear because she was sweet as Honey, and cuddly as a Bear - and that why she's my Honey Bear! Diane, may you have a wonderful 19th Birthday, and I pray that that soon you will be able to keep your promise to return safely home to me.

Dad